Northstar Access, one of the largest and most respected scaffolding and access solutions providers in Canada, is launching a new Branch in Calgary, which will be our first location in Alberta. The Branch Manager will have an ability to “start from scratch” to build a high-performing local business, focused on both commercial construction and industrial customers in Alberta, with the financial support and expertise of our team across Canada. The Branch Manager shall direct and manage all local activities, and will be responsible for building a strong, cohesive team and culture, as well as achieving specific safety, operational, and financial goals.
Branch Manager Position Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute a growth plan for a new Calgary Branch
- Build, coach, train, mentor, and develop a cohesive, motivated, and diverse team
- Identify a yard location to serve as backbone of operations for future growth
- Manage the complete local value chain of activities (sales/estimating, field activities/execution, warehousing, equipment sourcing/supply, vehicle/fleet management) with support from corporate shared services (Finance, HR, Safety)
- Foster a strong local culture to support the company’s goal of being the “Employer of Choice” in our industry
- Ensure that all branch employees work in a safe environment and that every necessary precaution is taken to uphold that aim. All personnel must understand safe working practices and know the necessary procedures to take if safety incidents occur
- Create and achieve local budget (P&L and annual Capex spending targets); Leading and driving profitability, growth, and direction in sales activities in line with company vision and values
- Monitor and report on local business performance against plan; identify challenges and opportunities affecting sales performance and recommend action plans
- Manage an estimating/sales team, as well as owning key/large customer relationships
- Oversee daily scaffolding field operations, as well as rental, fulfillment & delivery activities from local yard
- Identify and realize regional growth and product expansion opportunities (e.g., swing stages, other access solutions)
- Ensure that all branch personnel understand the overall company objectives as well as their individual departmental objectives and that they work together to achieve the company’s mission. Be available to help resolve conflicting objectives. Reinforce continuously respectful communication between all departments.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma
- 5+ years of leadership experience in a high-growth distribution/ construction/ industrial company with a strong operations orientation.
- 5+ years of experience managing a cross-functional team of at least 12+ employees
- 3+ years of successful P&L management experience, including budgeting and financial management
- Track record for developing and mentoring a diverse team
- Track record for achieving profitable growth in previous roles
Other Highly Valued Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience with scaffolding or other access solutions (e.g., swing stage, etc) an asset
- 5-10 years of experience in the construction and manufacturing industry an asset
- Any prior sales, estimating, or customer facing experience an asset
- College or university degree in project management, business administration, or other relevant degree an asset
- The Branch Manager will be comfortable in a “services driven business”. Understands the nuances of customer/ market needs and how to meet these in a profitable manner. Ability to lead and manage all moving parts in a complex organization through multi-tasking to maintain controls of operations.
- Mathematical, mechanical, and logical reasoning abilities
- Safety conscious approach and management style
- Ability to provide clear instructions and directions to individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Collaborate management style (vs authoritarian) that promotes team buy-in, ideas, and engagement
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and translate customer needs into business and service requirements.
- Excellent communication skills – possesses ability to persuade, influence and build consensus amongst all stakeholders.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision under tight time constraints
- High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
You’ll love working at Northstar Access because:
The People. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, smart, supportive, and passionate teams – people you can be proud to work with.
The Business. Northstar Access Inc is an industry leader in access solutions in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia.
Management & Ownership. Northstar’s ownership and management team are long-term focused. We are focused on making the right long-term decisions for the business and bringing in values-orientated individuals who can grow with the company over the long term. Being privately-owned and Canadian focused, we are not focused on quarterly financial results or short-term objectives.
COVID-19 Protocols in Place:
To keep our employees safe we practice social distancing, masks, hand sanitizer, daily monitoring, and safety awareness talks. Learn more here!
Northstar Access is an equal opportunity employer. We value and are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agency, please.