Apprentice Scaffold Erector Job Description:
The Apprentice Scaffold Erector assists in the fabrication, building and/or erection of metal and steel scaffold structures using various tools, equipment, and building materials while working in collaboration with other crafts on the jobsite. All Apprentice Scaffold Erectors are required to join the United Brotherhood of Carpenters, our union/labour partners.
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
Apprentice Scaffold Erectors will be expected to;
- Assist Scaffold Erectors (Journeyperson) with designing, erecting, modifying, and dismantling temporary work support platforms or structures that hold workers, tools, equipment, and construction components
- Assist with tracking scaffold material inventory used on-site
- Place poly or netting over/ around scaffold structures as required
- Verify design requirements from drawings and written instructions, select appropriate materials, and set ground levels
- Perform daily scaffolding inspections to ensure structures have not been compromised.
- Responsible for anchoring off with fall arrest systems and following protocols to remove the potential of falling objects
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to safety by adhering to safe work practices and the Northstar Scaffold Safety Philosophy
- Follow applicable Contractor’s Safety Procedures, OH&S, and Provincial Safety requirements are adhered to
- Use and clean tools required on the worksite
- Mentor all skill level apprentices with planning and executing work on the job sites; as well as being available to answer questions about the work being performed
- Other duties as assigned
- Highschool diploma or working towards one
- Certified Journeyman or equivalent experience
- Construction Safety Training Systems an asset
- Confined space training preferred
- Fall arrest training preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Mathematical, mechanical, and logical reasoning abilities
- Knowledge of fall arrest and fall protection practices
- Ability to follow instructions and standard operating procedures
- Physical dexterity and capable of working at heights
- Capable of carrying objects weighing up to 50lbs and occasionally up to 100lbs
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to follow safety protocols and wear required personal protective equipment
- Collaborate effectively with crew members and other trades while working on job sites
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision under tight time constraints
Environmental Working Conditions & Physical Effort for an Apprentice Scaffold Erector:
- Work is performed in both indoor and outdoor environments where temperatures will range throughout the various seasons with exposure to cold and hot temperatures
- Constant use of arms and hands to reach for, handle, carry, and manipulate objects
- Consistent carrying of objects up to 50lbs and occasionally up to 100lbs
- Standing and walking occurs continuously
- Work is performed in confined spaces for approximately 4-7 hours per day
- Full-face respirators may be required for extended periods
- Climbing and maintaining balance on sometimes slippery surfaces and while on ladders is required frequently
- Stooping, knelling, crawling, and crouching is required frequently
- Exposure to vibrations and noise are moderate to severe and depending on noise level workers may be required to wear hearing protection devices
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job.
About Northstar Access:
Northstar Access has been a trusted provider of scaffolding, shoring, swing stages, and other access solutions in Canada for over 50 years. Northstar’s customers depend on them for high-quality products, exceptional installation services, industry-leading experience, and a dedicated focus on safety. Since 2012, Northstar has expanded from its original location in Southern Ontario, and now operates from 5 branches (Ontario, Manitoba, and British Columbia) employing more than 250 experienced professionals.
You’ll love working at Northstar Access because:
The People. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, smart, supportive, and passionate teams – people you can be proud to work with.
The Business. Northstar Access Inc is an industry leader in access solutions in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia.
Management & Ownership. Northstar’s ownership and management team are long-term focussed. We are focused on making the right long-term decisions for the business and bringing in values-orientated individuals who can grow with the company over the long term. Being privately-owned and Canadian focussed, we are not focused on quarterly financial results or short-term objectives.
COVID-19 Protocols in Place:
To keep our employees safe we practice social distancing, masks, hand sanitizer, daily monitoring, and safety awareness talks. Click here to read more about our COVID-19 Protocols.
Northstar Access is an equal opportunity employer. We value and are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agency, please.